Alphabetic Index : A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Search β):

Eram Garden

Bagh-e Eram

باغ ارم


Shiraz_Eram_Garden.jpg
Eram Garden and Palace complex is a historic Persian garden in Shiraz, Iran. Eram in Persian means heaven. This garden is located on the northern shore of the Kushk River in the Fars province. The history of Eram Garden of Shiraz goes back to legends. It was of great importance during Seljuk reign. Near the end of Zand dynasty, the Eram Garden had been in Ghashghayi tribe possession for 75 years. During Naseroddin Shah's reign, Eram Garden was bought from the Ghashghayi tribe and a palace was built in it. After the owner's death, it changed hands a couple of times, until it was registered as historical heritage during Pahlavi 2nd reign. Alongside Hafeziyeh and Saadiyeh, the Eram botanic Garden is one of major attractions of Shiraz.The original layout of the garden however, with its quadripartite Persian structure was most likely laid in eighteenth century by the Seljuks, and was then referred to as the "Bagh-e-Shah" (meaning the "garden of the king" in Persian) and was much less complicated or ornamental.Over the centuries the structure has been modified, restored or stylistically changed by various participants. The first pavilion facing south along the long axis was designed by a local architect, Haji Mohammad Hasan. The structure housed 32 rooms on two stories, decorated by tiles with poems from the Persian poet Hafez written on them. The structure underwent renovation by the Zand dynasty and was also renovated during the time of the Qajar dynasty. The Pahlavi dynasty invested a lot in this garden renovating it to an internationally recognizable status; in fact in 1965, Britain's ambassador to Iran, Sir Denis Wright was invited by Asadollah Alam, Mohammad Reza Shah's close friend, and at the time Chancellor of Shiraz University, to a party in Eram Garden thrown for Princess Alexandra of the Ogilvy. The compound came under the protection of Pahlavi University during the Pahlavi era, and was used as the College of Law.It is today still a property of Shiraz University, and is open to the public as a museum, protected by Iran's Cultural Heritage Organization. (Wikipedia) - Eram Garden

Coordinates: 29°38′09″N 52°31′31″E / 29.63583°N 52.52528°E / 29.63583; 52.52528

UNESCO World Heritage Site Persian gardens Type Criteria Reference UNESCO region Inscription history Inscription
Name as inscribed on the World Heritage List
Cultural
i, ii, iii, iv, vi
1372
Asia and Australasia
2011 (35th Session)

Eram Garden (Persian: باغ ارم - Bāq e Eram‎) is a historic Persian garden in Shiraz, Iran. The word "Eram" is the Persianized version of the Arabic word "Iram" which means heaven. Eram Garden therefore is so called for its aesthetic attractions resembling "heaven". The garden, and the building within it, are located at the northern shore of the Khoshk River in the Fars province.

Contents

HistoryQavam House in Eram GardenOrnamental pool and date palm at Eram Garden

Both the building and the garden were built during the middle of nineteenth century by the Ilkhanate or a paramount chief of the Qashqai tribes of Pars. The original layout of the garden however, with its quadripartite Persian Paradise garden structure was most likely laid in eighteenth century by the Seljuqs, and was then referred to as the "Bāq e Shāh" ("the king''s garden" in Persiam) and was much less complicated or ornamental. Cornelius de Bruyn, a traveller from the Netherlands, wrote a description of the gardens in the eighteenth century.

Over its 150 years the structure has been modified, restored or stylistically changed by various participants. The building faces south along the long axis. It was designed by a local architect, Haji Mohammad Hasan. The structure housed 32 rooms on two stories, decorated by tiles with poems from the poet Hafez written on them. The structure underwent renovation during the Zand and Qajar dynasties.

In 1965, Sir Denis Wright, a British ambassador in Iran, was invited by the Chancellor of Shiraz University, Asadollah Alam, to a party in Eram Garden for Princess Alexandra of the Oglivy. The compound came under the protection of Pahlavi University during the Pahlavi era, and was used as the College of Law. the building housed the Asia Institute.

Today, Eram Garden and building are within Shiraz Botanical Garden (established 1983) of Shiraz University. They are open to the public as a historic landscape garden. They are World Heritage Site, and protected by Iran''s Cultural Heritage Organization.

Tags:





See All 4 items matching Eram Garden in Media Gallery

The history of Eram Garden of Shiraz goes back to legends. It was of great importance during Seljuk reign. Near the end of Zand dynasty, the Eram Garden had been in Ghashghayi tribe possession for 75 years.
Eram Garden & Palace in Shiraz went under supervision of Shiraz University after a bill was passed at the Majlis on June, 6, 1967. The garden became Eram Botanical Garden of Shiraz University.
Eram garden and palace in Shiraz
The Paradise, a word derived from Old Persian depicts itself in Persian gardens. One example is the Narenjestan Garden within the complex of Eram Garden built between 1879 and 1886, now a museum open to public as the Botanic Park of the Shiraz University.

Add definition or comments on Eram Garden

Your Name / Alias:
E-mail:
Definition / Comments
neutral points of view
Source / SEO Backlink:
Anti-Spam Check
Enter text above
Upon approval, your definition will be listed under: Eram Garden





Happy Mehregan 1393

Home About us / Contact    Products    Services    Iranian History Today    Top Iran Links    Iranian B2B Web Directory    Historical Glossary
Copyright @ 2004-2013 fouman.com All Rights Iranian