• Login/Register
  • Alphabetic Index : A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

    Search β):

    * Algiers *

    الجزیره


    Germany_US_Iran_Hostage_Crisis_1981.jpg
    capital city of Algeria Located along the Bay of Algiers and first settled by Phoenicians, it was later ruled by the Romans. It was destroyed by the Vandals in the 5th century AD but revived under a Berber dynasty in the 10th century. When the Spanish threatened it in the early 16th century, the local emir appealed to the Ottoman corsair Barbarossa, who expelled the Spanish and placed Algiers under the rule of the Ottoman Empire. Algiers became the major base for the Barbary Coast pirates for 300 years; their activities were finally curtailed in 1818 by an American force led by Stephen Decatur. The French took the city in 1830 and made it headquarters for their African colonial empire. In World War II (1939–45), it became the Allied headquarters in northern Africa and for a time the provisional capital of France. In the 1950s it was the focal point in the drive for Algeria's independence; after independence, Algiers grew as the country's political, economic, and cultural centre. (Wikipedia) - Algiers This article is about the capital of Algeria. For other uses, see Algiers (disambiguation). "Algerine" redirects here. For other uses, see Algerine (disambiguation). Algiers الجزائر (Arabic)    Dzayer ⴷⵣⴰⵢⴻⵔ دزاير Alger (French) Country Province District Government  • Wali (Governor) Area  • City  • Metro Highest elevation Lowest elevation Population (2011)  • City  • Density  • Metro  • Metro density Time zone Postal codes Area code(s)
    City
    Clockwise: Buildings along the Mediterranean coast of Algiers, Martyrs Memorial, Notre Dame d''Afrique, Ketchaoua Mosque, Casbah, the Grand Post Office and the Ministry of Finance of Algeria
    Seal
    Nickname(s): Algiers the White; Algiers the Dazzling
    AlgiersLocation of Algiers within Algeria
    Coordinates: 36°46′N 3°13′E / 36.767°N 3.217°E / 36.767; 3.217Coordinates: 36°46′N 3°13′E / 36.767°N 3.217°E / 36.767; 3.217
     Algeria
    Algiers Province
    Algiers District
    M. Mohamed Kebir Addou
    363 km2 (140 sq mi)
    1,800 km2 (700 sq mi)
    424 m (1,391 ft)
    2 m (7 ft)
    3,415,811
    9,400/km2 (24,000/sq mi)
    5,000,000
    2,800/km2 (7,200/sq mi)
    CET (UTC+1)
    16000–16132
    (+213) 021

    Algiers (Arabic: الجزائر‎, al-Jazā’er; Algerian Arabic Pronunciation: دزاير Dzayer, French: Alger) is the capital and largest city of Algeria. According to the 1998 census, the population of the city proper was 1,519,570 and that of the urban agglomeration was 2,135,630. In 2009, the population was about 3,500,000. An estimate put the population at about 3,574,000 in 2010. Algiers is located on the Mediterranean Sea and in the north-central portion of Algeria.

    Sometimes nicknamed El-Behdja (البهجة) or alternatively Alger la Blanche ("Algiers the White") for the glistening white of its buildings as seen rising up from the sea, Algiers is situated on the west side of a bay of the Mediterranean Sea. The modern part of the city is built on the level ground by the seashore; the old part, the ancient city of the deys, climbs the steep hill behind the modern town and is crowned by the casbah or citadel, 122 metres (400 ft) above the sea. The casbah and the two quays form a triangle.

    Contents

    See also items containing : Algiers

    Related History Articles:

    Add definition or comments on Algiers

    Your Name / Alias:
    E-mail:
    Definition / Comments
    neutral points of view
    Source / SEO Backlink:
    Anti-Spam Check
    Enter text above
    Upon approval, your definition will be listed under: Algiers





    Happy Summer Sale

    Home About us / Contact    Products    Services    Iranian History Today    Top Iran Links    Iranian B2B Web Directory    Historical Glossary
    Copyright @ 2004-2016 fouman.com All Rights Iranian